May 16, 2014

Travelling Solo in La Union

La Union

Bum La Union

Growing up in a small town in Calbayog City Samar, I have learned to live a simple life. Never appreciated traveling or going out. I have dedicated myself at work on a daily basis and drink out with my friends once in a while. That was my life in 2008 until 2011. But in March of 2011, I decided to do something else for my birthday instead of just staying at home while getting drunk. This time, I traveled alone and went to San Juan La Union to try surfing. This was my first time in surfing, my first time to travel alone and my first time to be in La Union. I don’t even have an idea on how to get there. Good thing my officemate knows how to get there and he instructed me. Equipped with a few notes on how and where to stay in La Union, I confidently went out and rode a bus all by myself. I felt excited and at the same time a bit nervous. I don’t know anyone in La Union, no one is with me, if something happens to me, no one might find out and a lot more.
La Union
There’s a lot of things going in mind that time. But when I saw the trees on the road side, I forgot my worries, I smiled and felt happy. It felt that I was in the Province again. I arrived in La Union at around 9 in the evening. I asked around for a place to stay. Locals were very nice to help me out even it was late in the evening. Since staying in Hotels are expensive, I chose a homestay coz it’s cheaper. It was Alex’s house that I’ve stayed for the next two days.
Since I arrived at night and got nothing to do, I decided to just go to the beach and hang out there with some bottle of beers. Alone and no one to talk to, I felt relaxed, stress from work was gone, my mind was empty at that time. I appreciated serenity for the very first time. Seeing stars up above the sky, hearing the waves smash into the shorelines, man, I could live a life like this. This is truly one way to escape reality once in a while.
La Union
It was a big day for me on my second day. Learning new stuff. Surfing baby! Alex instructed me for an hour for me to learn surfing. His wife Lea was the one taking photos of me surfing since I’m alone. It was hard paddling and trying to stand up on a surf board during my first few attempts. It was all wiped outs! But then after a few tries, I was able to manage to stand up on the board and ride the waves. It was really fun. I was stoked the whole day. I even rented one of their long board for a whole day. Whenever I get tired, I take some rest on their board shack and gas up with some beer. It was irie man! Then I surf again even when the sun was so hot. I didn’t bother getting dark.
La Union
La Union

Where to eat in La Union

At night, I went to Surfers Retreat for dinner, alone again. Too fed up with meat in Manila, I Ordered a good fried dried fish this time. Tasted just like the one in my province.
La Union

La Union


After having a good meal, I went back to the beach with some bottles of beer and enjoyed my last night on this beach. I had fun even I was alone through out my stay in La Union. I even made a promise to myself that I am going to get back on this place every year to surf more.
The next day, I have to bid goodbye to the beach and waves who have been so nice to me. This trip taught me a lot of things. To overcome fear of being alone, to go out and explore new things, to learn to love the nature, to be more confident. I even talked to strangers! I learned to appreciate small and simple things, to be kind to people around me, and mostly, I learned to love myself, to reward my self once in a while. I worked hard for a living, yet, this was the very first time that I rewarded myself like this. Going out freely, with nothing to worry of. Enjoying and living the life the way it should be. Because of this solo trip, look where I’ve been to and what I am right now, a totally addicted on travelling!
So if I were you, I’d give myself a bit of a reward. Get out from your room, pack your bag and go on a road trip. Life is on the road, not in a room! And see for yourself how you’ll grow as a better person.


Smiley face

Your turn to talk, Speak up!